The Old Grey Mare gets wrecked
Page 1   Page 2   Wrecked   Rebuilt   Page 5   Wrecked again   Re-rebuilt
The final drive is all cleaned up and awaiting service. All the black parts have been stripped down and repainted.
I piled up some of the wrecked stuff out back—but not in just an ordinary pile.
It's just a matter of time before my wife wants this gone.
The left side rear suspension is all cleaned up, painted and installed along with the left side exhaust system. I'll be using fishtails this time. They don't sound very impressive but they sure do look good. The seat was also spruced up and installed. The metal bits were all stripped and repainted from grey to black. All the mounting hardware is stainless.
It's starting to resemble a motorcycle now. The frame tag on the steering head came from the old frame. Using the existing holes, it's in a slightly higher position than before. This is going to be one sweet bike... someday.
There. The engine is now mounted in the new frame. The deep sump and new headers have been installed. I think black enameled exhaust systems look very good on a Chang.
Where's the gearbox? It's in the operating room. The prognosis doesn't look good. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell? Next up—painting and installing the rear suspension and seat. By the way—do you see anything unusual about this frame? It's blatantly obvious to those who've had their gas tank off.
If anyone wants to see my bike, well, here's most of it.
Yesterday was mostly a clean-up day. The shop was a disaster area.
The heads are back on now and the engine is probably the cleanest it will ever be again.
Today I did some more stuff to get the engine ready for the new frame. The deep sump had to come off, otherwise it won't fit. The original pan is back on for now. The heads are off because they got a little messed up in the accident and need a session with the wire wheel.
The foot shifter came off because it got bent and needs to be straightened in a vice. The rubber donut came off so I can clean and repaint the ring. The kick starter lever will also come off for painting. At the moment I'm unable to drive out the pin without re-breaking my arms, so it'll wait.
After all that other stuff I gave it a good clean-up with mineral spirits and a paint brush. Some friends are coming down for a party on Sunday. They don't know it yet, but they're going to set the engine in the new frame for me.
I was on a roll today.
I did a little more than planned.
Getting the engine out of the frame is a big job even if you're not temporarily disabled. I wasn't looking forward to doing it—or even planning on it today. But you know, if the frame is wrecked anyway, why not just cut it off? Where's that angle grinder?
Now to slide the frame out from around the engine and gearbox.
Done. It would be really funny if the insurance adjuster comes back for another look.
This is, essentially, "the bike" as it stands right now.
I have to drop the deep sump before setting the engine in the new frame.
At the moment I can only manage doing a little at a time. Luckily there really isn't much to one of these bikes. The new frame is seen in the background. It came from Rich Hahn.
Another couple days and it'll be completely disassembled.
I was surprised at how dirty the bike had gotten during this year's shortened riding season. But then, it did sit outside for a couple weeks after the accident.
Getting the rear wheel and fender off went fast.
Here's something that didn't get damaged.
That frame is toast.
Look at the flange at the top of the steering head.
Not exactly round anymore...
Even the rear end got hurt.
It's cheaper to replace that pedestal than trying to fix it.
About the only salvage here would be the springs which I can't take off until the @#$%&. casts are off. Those handlebars are not only bent but twisted as well.
I chopped off much of the damaged stuff with an angle grinder today.
It's not evident in this picture, but the rear fender, seat pedestal and tank are wrecked.
One week later... This is why it's a huge pain to do virtually anything these days. The right cast stays on for another 6-8 weeks.
Monday was what I would call a "suck day".
A car made a left hand turn in front of me while I was riding straight in the opposite direction.
As you can see, the bike got a little messed up.
I survived with a couple broken arms, some road rash and an assortment of minor dents and scratches.
Page 1   Page 2   Wrecked   Rebuilt   Beyond   Really, really wrecked